I think I may have challenged my niece's boyfriend, Tyler, to a fight. This is actually a good thing, which I'll explain later.
Amanda introduced Tyler to my parents and other family members at a large gathering at Canyon Creek last night. Although Tyler had met some of us before last night's dinner, he had never met my parents other than in a Skype conversation. For Amanda, this was an important step, as her much-adored Bubie and Zadie have played, and continue to play, a hugely important role in her life. Introducing Tyler to the matriarch and patriarch of the Heagle clan was a pivotal moment. I can assure you that Tyler was welcomed with open arms by everyone. How could you not love a man who was completely at ease posing in a giant wooden shoe on a recent trip to Holland?
So why the challenge to fight? This takes some explaining. Conversations at any family gathering often meander towards unusual and occasionally irreverent topics. Round about the time that the waitress delivered our prime rib entrees, the discussion turned to one of my favourite topics - In a fight, who would win? Roman and I play this game all the time. Doesn't everyone? I'll choose an opponent...it could be a sibling, friend, just about anybody...and ask Roman to predict who would win in a fight against me. Funnily enough, Roman always declares that I would be victorious in these imaginary encounters. Roman is a very smart man. To be clear, I have never actually faced an adversary in any kind of hand to hand combat, unless you count my adolescent years when my younger brother, Brian, and I had to share a bathroom.
Imagine my surprise when Tyler and Amanda both expressed their unbridled enthusiasm for my game and added that they, too, loved to play a similar game, albeit with slightly different rules. Whereas my game involved absolutely no weaponry, their game did, and not only that, their game was played...to the death! Wow! This was an intense twist on my idea where battles would be considered over when one person either fell down or cried. This was a whole new make-believe ballgame.
It was somewhere in the middle of this animated discussion that I challenged Tyler to a fight. Maybe it was all the red meat that we were hacking into with our oversized steak knives that fueled the fight fervour, or maybe it was just the fact that Tyler didn't want to say no to Amanda's Aunt Barb, but darn it, he accepted! We even set a date for the battle - Thanksgiving weekend, 2011, in the rustic surroundings of Clevelands House, Muskoka. Now what? Should I start the necessary training, brush up on all my Billy Blanks Tae Bo moves, consult with my black belt TP friends or study the art of distract-and-run-away? It's official and at this point, neither of us has retreated from the throwing down of the imaginary gauntlet. Sorry, Amanda, but your auntie has to fight your adorable boyfriend.
How is this a good thing, you may ask? From my perspective,Tyler fit in so beautifully with Amanda's extended family, that one of her aunts felt comfortable enough to challenge him to a fight. Hey, that's a compliment in my books! The outcome of this battle-to-be is still far enough off in the future that I'm not too concerned about it. In the meantime, Tyler, GAME ON!




Challenge him to a powerwalk around the grounds of Cleveland House and you'll beat him hands down! (or in this case, hands up cause you need those arms to keep movin'...) Or, just, distract and run if necessary or get Paula and Lesley to show you some cool TKD moves. On a more serious note, loved this message...I bet Tyler feels truly welcomed into your clan and that's a good thing.
ReplyDeleteHehe :) This entry is great!
ReplyDeleteWe have odd ways of welcoming people into our family. You've gotta love us :)
PS - that first pic of Ty and I is the worst! We had just gotten off a very long plane ride. We're actually less dishevelled-looking in person :P
ReplyDeleteI think you guys look awesome! I like the fact that Tyler is hiding behind you in the first picture, a little afraid of the "fight to the death" battle that is in his future. The other photos speak for themselves. So cute!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I must correct you about our version of the game - the combattants are NOT allowed to use weaponry! Only bare hands, and fight to the death.
ReplyDeleteI ALWAYS lose... I guess I am pretty wussy compared to most :P
My mistake, I thought weapons were allowed! But it sure makes for an exciting variation to the game, don't you think?
ReplyDeletexo
Note to self - cancel samurai lessons
ReplyDeleteThanks, Deb! Glad you like the post. I haven't heard from Tyler yet, so hopefully he hasn't fled the province. We all had a wonderful time last night!
ReplyDeleteA timely warning to Tyler from the other "auntie" persona in Amanda's life...Just don't let Barb fight you by playing Trivial Pursuit (which is one of those weaponless fights to the finish) because she cheats by reading the answer from your mind. Note to self: stop thinking anytime that I am around Barbo. I wish that Bob and I could have been at the Sunday night family gathering! Love, Mutt.
ReplyDeleteJust so you know I haven't evaded the Province as of yet
ReplyDeleteI am pretty certain this is the first blog ever written about me. I don't know what to say, I am flattered. You should cancel your samurai lessons but should be watching your Billy Blanks Tae Bo tapes constantly Thanksgiving is going to come sooner than you think. I look forward to our next encounter. :)