Where did they come from? How did they get here? Why won't they leave? No, these are not the oblivious dinner guests who can't seem to get the message that it's time to go home, even after you yawn loudly, turn off all the lights and change into your pajamas. Oh no. This is something far more insidious. This, my friends, is the zucchini. Or should I say, zucchinis, as they tend to travel in packs. Like Count Dracula, once invited into your home, they are there for the long haul. I thought I was being smart, having never invited one into our home, at least not knowingly. Zucchini was something that never appeared on my shopping list and being a high rise condo-living city dweller, never appeared on my doorstep either from that well-meaning neighbour who was trying to "share" the zucchini love. But there they lie, stacked like cord wood, in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator.
I can explain how they got here. It was innocent enough. Several weeks ago, I placed my first order from Plan B Organic Farm and started receiving astonishingly fresh and absolutely gorgeous, organic vegetables and fruit, and eggs from meadow-frolicking chickens each and every Wednesday. This was becoming a highlight of my week and Wednesday was like its own special version of Christmas morning, as I never knew what awaited me inside the multi-coloured bins.
Then one day, there it was - the lone zucchini. Fair enough. When I purchased the customized share program from Plan B, I hadn't thought to add zucchini to my list of banned produce, alongside the dreaded cilantro and spiky frisee lettuce that I usually pick out of my salads. In fact, zucchini wasn't really part of my thought process whatsoever. Into the crisper the green gourd was gently placed, about as far back as it would go, with fleeting thoughts of perhaps grilling it one day with a little olive oil and sea salt. Yes, that would be nice.
Another week went by and another Wednesday pick-up day arrived. I eagerly opened my bin, practically trembling with excitement at what bounty lay inside, and there they were - the zucchinis. More than one this time. Oh yes, Plan B was being the friendly neighbour now and really starting to "share" the zucchini love. Three rather hefty green boys were grinning up at me from the depths of the bin, tucked behind the kale, just as if whoever put them in there didn't really want them to be noticed. Into the crisper they too were placed, not so gently this time, with thoughts of perhaps hosting a zucchini themed dinner party for my other city friends. Yes, they would love that.
I'm sure by now you can guess what happened next. Last night, when I picked up my magnificent bin of farm fresh organic produce, there it was, an entire colony of zucchini, in plain view, crowding out the mammoth bunch of kale and practically crushing the elegant golden chard. This was way beyond mere zucchini love, this was a whole new category of vegetable lust.
Well....I may be exaggerating a little bit. Truthfully, I've grown quite fond of my zucchini family, although they are starting to take over the crisper. Today, I have vowed to actually make something out of at least one or two of them. After doing a little online research, I have discovered a couple of recipes that look really interesting and do not require a grill of any sort. I shall report back on the outcome of my "Shaved Zucchini Salad with Parmesan" in another entry. Until then, feel free to share your favourite zucchini recipes with me, but please, keep the zucchini love to yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment