I've had a number of friends over the past year ask me what Tread Powerfully (TP) is all about. Now that I have a venue to showcase this kind of information, I thought, why not share a few valuable insights in my blog? A good place to start learning about TP is with the gear you will need. Since Roman is at work, I have utilized a couple of my favourite local models to pose casually in appropriate TP attire.
What to wear to an outdoor class? Let's start with the head gear. My folk art bear from Nova Scotia, who was viciously declawed by Ripley the cat, is sporting my favourite TP baseball hat, which is perfect for soaking up the massive quantities of sweat that you will generate during a typical class. The hat is also ideal for protecting your head from the sun, rain or snow. Yes, we TP all year round in all kinds of weather and we wear our hats proudly.
For comparison, here he is in his winter head gear, complete with fleece face protector. Very important on those long, gusty walks with a brisk wind chill. Yep, he looks mighty chilly, but rest assured, his face will remain frostbite-free as long as he remembers to wear this important item.
You may have noticed the funny looking blue inserts in my shoes. These are off the shelf Powerstep Orthotic Supports. My feet need all the help they can get, so I never power walk without them. Aside from the right shoes, you also need to carry light dumbbells for the muscle work that happens during frequent intervals throughout the class. These are my loyal and faithful two-pounders that never get lost when they are put down on either grass or snow. Red - good thinking!
Hilary the sock monkey is wearing my trusty water belt that has a tiny zippered pocket that fits my house keys and a couple of tissues. It also has an adjustable velcro closing, so that it can accommodate all shapes and sizes. This is why super svelte Hilary can wear it too! Water is extremely important to have along for outdoor summer TP classes. It can make the difference between being happy and hydrated or droopy and dry. Having been the latter, I always remember to fill my water bottle and tuck it into the handy pouch on my water belt before I head out to class. It's also important to drink plenty of water before and after class.
Other than your favourite, weather appropriate workout clothing, that's pretty much it for the special gear you will need to enjoy the wide variety of outdoor TP classes. In my next posting, I will describe what you can expect during a typical class. Until then, happy treading!
No comments:
Post a Comment